Today will be mild once again, with a layer of high elevation cloud settling in, eventually becoming thicker, blocking out the sun. A light to moderate Westerly wind will be present, currently gusting up to 45 km/hr at Pisaillas. More of the same in regards to temperatures, at 9 a.m. it is -5°C in the village, -1°C at the summit of Bellevarde and -4°C at Pisaillas. Today we await a top of 4 degrees here in town.
No difficulties expected on the roads for vehicles travelling through the area today.
The entire ski area will be open this morning, with fantastic conditions on the groomed runs at higher altitudes.
The Pisaillas and Fornet sectors will be open with almost everything groomed overnight. All runs will be open today apart from the Tunnel.
Over on Solaise, all lifts will open on time. Piste L may close in the afternoon due to avalanche danger. Everything is open on the snowfront, including the tobogganing area.
In the Bellevarde sector, everything is open. There is race training this morning on the top portions of the OK/Orange and racing on the Raye, these runs will re-open to the public later in the day. The Santons may close this afternoon due to avalanche danger. Skiing in Tignes can be accessed via either the Tommeuse or Borsat lifts.
Cross Country skiers and Pedestrians can choose from any of our trails and ski loops today, apart from the Branges.
The avalanche risk is 1/5 today. Always ski with a partner, have the appropriate gear and know how to use it, and if in doubt hire a guide.
Great news to start the local news this morning with the announcement of the birth of little Marceau Desclos on February 1st, at the Albertville maternity ward. He is the first child of Jessica Cotet, nurse at the Tignes nursery, and Laura Desclos, who works both for the local council and as a volunteer firefighter. Marceau came into the world weighing 3,790kg and 50.5cm long.
He is doing well, all our best wishes to the happy family.
13 elected officials gathered around the table yesterday morning for the February Municipal Council meeting. 6 points on the agenda, discussed and voted on in around thirty minutes, and one town planning note was withdrawn. Only one debate, when discussing the municipality's staffing roster and the hiring of two new agents.
Through question time, Patrick Martin gave the news of Val d'Isère's application for the hosting of the technical alpine skiing events for the 2030 Olympic Games. The decision to include Val d'Isère or not will be made on February 15th, and the decision of France as a host will be made at the end of July. The mayor recalled that this event, organised by national authorities, was not intended to be financed by a municipality.
Alpine Park was also discussed, the continuation of the video shot at the end of last winter with Clément Noël. The idea would be to organise a big event bringing together the best skiers on the planet here at the beginning of April. If the idea seems attractive, it seems impossible to Patrick Martin that the event could be ready by the end of winter. The full report of this Municipal Council can be read in French on our website.
All week long, Val d'Isère will be hosting the Ecureuils d'Or Slalom events on the Raye, a sort of French ski championship for U16 girls and boys. Neighbouring resorts will organise the other events, the Super G at Tignes, and the GS at Sainte Foy. First race yesterday, continuing today for the boys before girls events take place tomorrow and Thursday, with several skiers from the Val d'Isère Sports Club are in the running.
As a reminder, the health day is being held today at the maison de Val. Organised by Vie Val d'Is, it is an opportunity for seasonal workers to meet numerous health professionals without having to go down to the valley. The Chambéry hospital centre is there offering STI and STD screenings and vaccination boosters.
It's free, anonymous and without an appointment. You can come freely between 12:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the maison de Val.
The village elders will meet this afternoon at the Municipal Council Hall for a homemade laundry detergent workshop. Please note, the appointment is a little earlier than usual, meeting at 2 p.m.
- Backstage at Val d'Isere: A free guided tour with ski patrol looking behind the scenes of an Avalanche Control program. Learn how a CATEX system functions. The tour will be held in English and French, reservations can be made at the Tourist Office. Meet up at the Solaise Patrol Hut at 1:50 p.m.
- From 5:45 p.m. on the snowfront; Yooner and Snooc. Light to handle and comfortable, these toboggans give a surprising feeling from the very first turn. Come and discover this modern take on the traditional sled, accessible for children with the Yooner and for adults with the Snooc.
- The ice skating rink will be open from 2 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- The Tourism Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- The Aqua Leisure complex is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Vie Val d'Is will be exceptionally closed today.
- The Media Library is open between 2 - 6 p.m.
- The Bookings centre is open from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Post Office is open from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and then 2 – 5:30 p.m.
- The Town Hall is open from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and then 2 – 6 p.m.
- The Red Shuttle will be circulating between La Daille and the Fornet every 6 minutes from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and then every 20 minutes until 2 a.m.
- The Yellow shuttle, up to the Manchet Valley, leaves every 20 minutes between 8:30 a.m. and 11:20 p.m.
- The Blue shuttle going up to the Legattaz is every 15 minutes between 8:30 a.m and 11:20 p.m.
- The free shuttle between Tignes and Val d'Isère runs 6 times a day :
Departures from La Daille at 7:55 a.m. 8:35 a.m. 10:50 a.m. 4:25 p.m. 5:25 p.m. and 6:20 p.m.
Departure from Tignes 1800 at 8:05 a.m. 8:45 a.m. 11 a.m. 4:35 p.m. 5:35 p.m. 6:30 p.m.
This evening, the POYA restaurant welcomes the famous Alsatian chef Frédéric Metzger for a 4-handed dinner. Be the privileged guests of an exceptional gastronomic evening where the chefs will highlight local Alsatian and Savoyard products.
For more information, visit the PoyaValdIsère Instagram account or their website www.poyavaldisere.com