Another beautiful day of blue skies and sunshine is on the cards. However, the high pressure system will start to break down, with cloud cover predicted to roll in from the North-West at the end of the afternoon. Today we can expect a maximum temperature of 6 degrees, on solar aspects, at 2000m. The temperature inversion is still well established in the area, at 9 a.m. The recorded temperatures are -3.5° here in the village, +4° at the top of Solaise and +2.5 at Pisaillas.
The roads are clear, with no major difficulties expected for vehicles travelling in the region today.
The Pisaillas area will be open for skiing today, with all runs expected to open. In the Fornet sector, almost everything is now open, with the Signal drag lift opening for the first time this season. Mangard remains the only option down to the Fornet Village.
Over on Solaise, the majority of the terrain is now open to the public apart from Cugnai, 3000, the Manchet Express and their corresponding runs. In addition, piste L will remain closed.
In the Bellevarde sector, everything is open with the exceptions of the Santons, the Lanches, the Border Crosses, and the Snowpark. Skiing in Tignes can be accessed via the Tommeuses chairlift.
Cross Country skiers can head out to either the Manchet Valley, or the Lake d'Ouillette. Pedestrians are spoiled for choice, all of our walking trails are open. However Les Sources and La Daille currently do not have enough snow to be groomed by a machine.
The avalanche risk is 2/5 today. Always ski with a partner, have the appropriate gear and know how to use it, and if in doubt hire a guide.
Six days before Christmas, this morning's focus is on the upcoming most magical week of the year. The Magic of Christmas festivities will begin on Saturday 23rd, with the Christmas village set up in the Tourism Office square, and the Elves Workshop in the Olympique Avenue square in the afternoon, where you can create your own Christmas decorations. The next day, Sunday the 24th, Santa Claus will stop by to meet the kids, first found in the morning on the snow front, then on Olympic Avenue from 5 p.m.
It is also worth noting that the Geese parade will be wandering through the centre of the village all day on December 26th. Aficionados of the Avaline fair in the summer know this spectacle well, geese marching in sync to the sound of drums and whistles. The Ganzenfanfar will perform here for the first time in winter.
This is all followed up by the torchlight descent on the 26th, a magic show on the 27th, marching bands, and ice sculpture demonstrations to complete this magical program.
A note regarding the ski area: The difficult weather conditions at the start of the season, the snow followed by rain, has created marginal conditions on the runs coming back down to the village. The snow is extremely compact, quite challenging for beginner skiers. Beginners should consider downloading via the various cable cars and gondolas, particularly at the end of the day, as the snow is softer in the mornings.
On the other hand, up high where the runs are exposed to more solar radiation, the skiing is of exceptional quality.
Local seniors are invited to get together for a writing workshop with Barbara this afternoon at 2:30 p.m. in the Municipal Council room. This event is hosted by the CCAS.
- The cinema is showing Napoléon in English at 8:30 p.m.
- The ice skating rink will be open from 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- The Tourism Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- The Aqua Leisure complex is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Vie Val d'Is office is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and then 3 – 6 p.m.
- The media library will be open from 2 – 6 p.m.
- The Bookings centre is open from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Town Hall is open from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and then 2 – 6 p. m.
- The Post Office is open from 9 a.m. To 12:30 p.m. and then 2 – 5:30 p. m.
- The Red Shuttle will be circulating between la Daille and the Fornet every 6 minutes from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and then every 20 minutes until 2 a.m.
- The Yellow shuttle, up to the Manchet Valley, leaves every 15 minutes between 8:30 a.m. and 11:20 p.m.
- The Blue shuttle going up to the Legattaz, is every 15 minutes between 8:30 a.m and 11:20 p.m.
- The free shuttle between Tignes and Val d'Isère runs 6 times a day :
Departures from La Daille at 7:55 a.m. 8:35 a.m. 10:50 a.m. 4:25 p.m. 5:25 p.m. and 6:20 p.m.
Departure from Tignes 1800 at 8:05 a.m. 8:45 a.m. 11 a.m. 4:35 p.m. 5:35 p.m. 6:30 p.m.
Happy Hour at the Poya from 5:30 – 7 p.m. Reduced prices on all of their classic cocktails.